Tuesday, September 20, 2011

12 Month Check Up

Penelope had her 12 month check-up yesterday. It started off fine. She was happy playing with the toys in the waiting room for 20 minutes. She was even happy when the nurse was taking her measurements. However, once the nurse left, we sat in our room waiting on the doctor for about 40 minutes! It was well past Penelope’s nap time, and she was livid. I tried everything to soothe her, but nothing seemed to work. So everyone in the office had to listen to her scream.  I was irritated that things weren’t moving along faster so I packed up our things and was ready to walk out, but once I opened the door, I could see the doctor was heading our way.
The day started off great

Happy Baby

While Penelope was still screaming, crying and thrashing her body around, the doctor informed me that Miss Penelope is estimated to be 5’9” as an adult. She also said that she would be very slim. This was interesting to hear, esp. about the height…I can’t imagine my baby girl being 3” taller than me! 
Here are Penelope’s current measurements:
Head Circumfrence: 18 ¼  80th percentile
Height: 30 ¼” 75th percentile
Weight: 22lbs 3oz 80th percentile
Peneleope’s teeth are coming in fast. Needless to say she is very irritable these days. She already has 4( two on top and two on bottom), but she has a molar that just broke through the surface, and 4 others well on their way. The doctor was surprised to see her molar coming in. I guess that’s an 18-24 month tooth.
Dr. Crossley was impressed that Penelope can say 3 words: “Momma,” “Papa,” and “Dada” and signs 4 words: “more,” “milk,” “to eat,” and “all done.” She said that 15-18 month old children have 3-5 words in there vocabulary, so Penelope is progressing quickly.
I was asked to put Penelope on her feet and show the doctor how P can walk while holding my hand. Really lady? Clearly my very sad little girl wasn’t in the mood. Tears and screams only got louder as I tried walking with her.
To add to Nellie’s fury, she received two shots-poor babe.  The doctor promised her a flavored tongue depressor before we left, but she forgot. So I grabbed a lollipop out of the jar and gave it to her. This calmed her down quite a bit, and I was able to get her into the car with little screaming.
Sad babe

And finally...a calm baby, thanks to the lollipop

Whew…long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment